Sunday 9 November 2014

When words just aren't enough



Some days, the words just don't seem to want to co-operate. No matter how hard I try, no matter how many combinations of them I create, they simply refuse to say what it is I want them to say.
Usually, it's my fault. The inability to craft them into sentences which exactly convey my thoughts and emotions is more often than not down to my own lack of skill and proficiency in manipulating them.
But I don't think that's the case today. You see, every now and again there comes along a situation where, no matter how good someone is with words, they still aren't able to put down in text exactly what it is they want to express.
Why?
Well, I think it comes down to that old adage - words just aren't enough.

You see, as well as writing sci-fi, there is another genre of the written word that is dear to my heart - the world of rhyme.
And my love of rhyme is down to my Dad, who was sadly taken from us this week.
Starting with 'The Happy Land of Dogenpuce' (best heard in a Scottish accent!), my Dad's poems were the catalyst for a lifelong fascination with the art of crafting rhyme, something I still enjoy the challenge of today.

Now I did think about trying to write a poignant little rhyme within this post, thanking my Dad for everything he'd given me, telling him how proud I am to be his son, remarking on how much I'll miss him and how much I loved him.
But the words...well, they just won't come.

So instead I'm going to point you in the direction of a page where I hope you'll take a bit of time to read and enjoy what I think is the best thing my Dad ever wrote - and remember, it's best read with a Scottish accent!

Campbell's Revenge by John Ritchie



No comments:

Post a Comment