Monday 21 March 2016

214

So, after almost 18 years of hillwalking in the Lake District, the 19th March 2016 saw me stand on the summit of the only 'Wainwright' that I hadn't climbed - St Sunday Crag.
It's an achievement of which I am unashamedly proud.


My first Wainwright was Helvellyn, climbed via Striding Edge on the 8th April 1998 (along with Nethermost Pike and Dollywaggon Pike) in the company of big brother Alex. Alex would accompany me on 10 further Wainwright bagging trips, out of the total of 84 that I have made in which I have summited at least one new Lakeland peak.
Of course Wendy has been my most frequent companion, walking with me to first-time summits on no less than 32 occasions. Ged has been with me on 17 trips. 24 trips I have made on my billy.
A few useless stats include:

  • Most Wainwrights climbed in a year - 29 in 2013, 27 in 2015
  • Fewest Wainwrights climbed in a year - 0 in 1999, 1 in 2006 and 2010
  • Most Wainwrights on a single walk - 11 on 21st August 2005
  • Best walk - the Fairfield Horseshoe (which I've actually walked 4 times since first walking it on 5th March 2000)
  • Dullest summit - Mungrisdale Common
  • Most surprising good summit - Black Fell
All in all, a pretty satisfying 17+ years...

No comments:

Post a Comment