Tuesday 21 May 2013

Maybe Blighty ain't so bad...

A few weeks ago, I commented on how awe-inspiring the sight of a fertiliser plant exploding in Texas was (how many of us had forgotten about that, I wonder?)
Today, I feel the same sense of awe as I watch TV images of that massive tornado rumbling its way across Oklahoma.
But it's awe mixed with deep sadness, not only for those many, many people who have tragically lost their lives, but for the countless people who have lost everything else.
Those images of whole neighbourhoods simply obliterated, of nothing but concrete pads where homes once stood, send a cold shiver down my spine.

It's a times like this that I feel (somewhat selfishly, I admit) how grateful I am that I live in a place where we rarely get tornados or hurricanes or tsunamis, and where we don't have to worry about a volcano erupting or an earthquake shaking our homes to bits.
Yes, it rains a lot here in Blighty and it's rarely very warm but, to be honest, a lot of shitty weather is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that it's going to be very unlikely that Nature is going to take your home or your life.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those poor souls who have died, and to those who are left to pick up the pieces of this tragedy, both physical and mental.

No comments:

Post a Comment