Thursday 24 July 2014

Why Dave secretly wants the Scots to vote YES

I've made a point of staying pretty quiet on the thorny issue of Scottish independence…
...and I'm going to continue to do so, at least from the perspective of whether I think it is a good idea or not (too many vested interests, and relatives, north of the border, I guess!)

Instead, I'm going to enter into the debate from a totally non-personal perspective and suggest something just a little bit controversial; that is that although good old David 'hug a hoodie' Cameron is openly supporting the 'Better Together' campaign (fronted by Alistair 'my eyebrows down match' Darling because he has a Scottish accent and isn't Gordon Brown), the Prime Minister is, in fact, secretly praying that the Scots vote YES on the 18th September.
Why?
Well, just have a look at this graphic, which I've copied from the following BBC website:
Scottish independence: How would the UK fare without Scotland?


Now do you see what I'm getting at?
From David Cameron's perspective, it boils down to a couple of simple equations:
   UK + Scotland = most of the power
   UK - Scotland = ALL of the power (and no need to listen to Nick Clegg anymore!)

So would a downsized UK with a Tory majority be better or worse than what we have now?
Who knows?
But one thing I am sure of - if Scotland do decide to go it alone on the 18th September, the rest of us in the UK are sure as hell going to find out!


No comments:

Post a Comment